Sunday, January 13, 2013

Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree!!

I grew up with a real Christmas tree in my house every year. I loved going with my family to pick one out at the local tree stands, bringing it home and setting it up. Decorating with Christmas music in the background and dancing around the tree. Hanging the hand made ornaments and little bells my mother said would give an angel their wings every time they were jingled. I grew up opening my Christmas presents early on Christmas Eve so we could go to my grandparents house that night. Santa would come and deliver presents there for Christmas morning. Christmas time was a special time for me. A time for family.

We were a little late getting ready for Christmas this year. By the time we had decided we should get our tree all the local places only had the big, expensive ones left. So we decided to cut down our own, right out of our backyard. My dad got out his chainsaw and while Nick, Layne and I watched, he cut down the second real tree we've had in our home. Layne loved walking up the road and through the woods looking for the perfect Christmas tree. He loved picking it out, watching as Po cut it down and then helping us shake the ice off before we brought it upstairs. The house smelled of fresh pine. And even though there were pine needles and sap all over my floor I was beyond happy to have created that memory with my family. A new tradition I hope we can continue every year.

The Christmas tree in our house symbolizes our lives coming together. We decorate it with ornaments from our childhood as well as new ones we pick out each year. Layne has his own little bag started, and Nick and I have one as well. We also have a bag that belong to all of us and is filled with ornaments that represent our family. When the day comes and Layne "leaves the nest", I will pack his ornaments and give them to him to decorate his own tree, with the family he will start. And I hope he will carry on the traditions we have brought into his life that created memories he will never forget.

With all of that said, there is also a time when the tree has to come down. And today was that day, mine is finally gone!!! We threw it out the window today, seriously. (I live on the second floor and since there were cups of pine needles falling off every time the tree was moved I thought it would be less of a mess to toss it out the nearest window instead of dragging it down our 20 stairs.) I think Layne enjoy's taking the decorations down and watching daddy throw it out the window just as much as he likes setting it up. And since this is the second year we have done it, I think we have started another tradition. A silly one, but one Layne will probably always remember. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment