Monday, January 7, 2013

People Could Be Nicer

I read an article today on parentdish.com about the overall benefits of breastfeeding called "People Would Be Nicer If They Got More Cuddling And Breast Milk, Study Says." 

The article starts off with a joke about Atilla the Hun not getting enough breast milk or parental attention, which must have led to his merciless and ruthless behavior as an adult. Although the joke was funny and not meant in a serious nature, it could hold some truth. Back around 406 AD, the Huns male children (a group of Magnolian People) were cut on each cheek with a sword after birth and before being able to nurse. The people believed this would make them "bold and fierce warriors". They also, for the most part, lived on their horses as they traveled from place to place killing and stealing. Obviously this is not a good environment to bring up a child in, but the point they were trying to make still stands. Maybe if he was raised in a loving home, breastfeed a little longer and touched more he would have been a better person. And now that my little history lesson is out of the way... I'll get to the real subject which is Breastfeeding. I'm sure this will be one of MANY Breastfeeding posts. ; )

I grew to love this article, even after their slightly odd joke. I was a breastfeeding mother, and I loved every moment of it! I went through having a hard time getting my son to latch on, the sore, bleeding and cracked nipple stage, the biting stage and then the awkward "are you really still breastfeeding??" looks from strangers... and even family. I breastfed my son until he was 11 1/2 months old and personally..... I wish I could have done it longer. THIS is what the article is about. Continuing to breastfeed until kindergarten age, which is about 5-6 years old. Most, probably 95 % of people, are probably thinking... "WHAT?? That's disgusting and borderline abuse." And I asked myself, who would have loved to breastfeed my son past the age of one, why people think that way. Why did my family ask me when I was going to wean my son even though he was only 5 months old? And the answer to those questions is society sexualizes breasts. Breastfeeding is the act of nourishing a child, providing them with love, comfort and the feeling of safety. This is not something that should be frowned upon and made to be done in private. This is not a sexual act no matter how old the child is. The act of breastfeeding is called care giving.

I am glad this article, and many many more, exist and give the evidence that breastfeeding past the age of one is not only okay but good for your child!! The benefits of breastfeeding never stop as the breast milk changes as your child ages. It continues to provide antibodies and enhances your child's immune system so he/she is less prone to nasty ear infections, colds and allergies. There are so many myth's out there that after the colostrum is gone breast milk is no longer better than formula. That after a year they no longer need it. When in actual studies it has been shown to be a positive thing to breastfeed through the toddler years rather than the negative thing society makes it out to be.

If my son had not self weaned at 11 1/2 months I would have breastfed for as long as I could. It kept me in shape, the hormones kept me in a good mood and I got to snuggle my growing baby just a little bit more than others with children his age. I loved breastfeeding, and am so glad that there is so much information out there and that I came across it. I cannot wait to breastfeed again. It is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced and something I will never forget. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment